Citizens Advice Edinburgh provides advice, information and practical assistance on a range of topics. Our service is a one-stop shop where people can access information and advice on any one subject or several subjects. All advice is: Free, Confidential, Impartial and Independent.
Advice is provided in our offices, at outreach locations such as hospitals or community centres, by telephone or via home visits.
What can CAE advise me on?
The main areas of advice offered by Citizens Advice Edinburgh include (but are not restricted to):
- Your Money - Debt, Employment, Benefits, Tax
- Your Family - Family, Health, Housing, Education
- Your Daily Life - Communications, Consumer Affairs, Travel
- Your Rights - Civil Rights, Immigration, Legal Rights and Resposibilities
Online advice on these issues is also available on the AdviceGuide web site.
What can we do?
- interview clients face-to-face and by phone to find out what the problem(s) are
- access our regularly updated electronic information database for up to the minute information
- help clients to negotiate with companies or service providers such as creditors or to appeal against decisions
- write letters or phone companies and service providers on behalf of clients
- help clients to prioritise their problems, for example, to sort out which debts are most important and should be paid first
- help clients with form filling, for example, to claim for welfare benefits
- refer clients to CAE specialist caseworkers for complex problems or to other agencies when appropriate.